• Blood is drawn from the vein (venipuncture) into standardised Vacutainer Venous Blood Collection tube containing different anticoagulants; EDTA, Li-Heparin with or without gel plug or in a citrate tube.
• The tube must be mix gently by slowly inversion (around 10 times)
• Centrifuge EDTA and Li-Heparine tubes at 2000g for 10 min.
• Centrifuge citrate tubes at 2500g for 20-30 minutes in order to minimise the content of thrombocytes. To ensure thrombocyte-free citrate plasma, a double centrifugation step is recommended.
• The supernatant (plasma) is aliquotted into a barcoded polypropylene tube for long term storage.
• A general recommendation is cold handling, 4-8ºC, of plasma.
• Plasma should be stored at – 80 ºC or lower for long term storage.